Comcast VP, NGAN Software Engineering & Ops in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
INTRODUCTION TO THE NEXT GENERATION ACCESS NETWORKS TEAM
The Next Generation Access Networks organization is a highly agile, fast paced and dedicated group responsible for the network serving our customers representing over 400,000 miles of fiber-coax plant and the delivery of 115 Tbps of edge capacity to our customers. We lead and oversees the delivery of every service and every bit that is delivered to the home. The group also owns the design, development, construction and incubation of next-gen access architectures for residential, multi-family, and commercial networks. This includes the delivery of DOCSIS 3.1 powered gig Internet services, The transition to NFV/SDN on the Access network by virtualizing the CMTS core and transition to new digital nodes. We are working to bring X1 innovation and the power of network virtualization and software defined networks to the data delivery world. This role will be changing the industry forever!
The Vice President of Access Networks Development and Operations leads the software development and operations for our Core Virtualization project. We are looking for a collaborative and results oriented leader who has depth in both development and operations. The responsibilities for this leader are broad as they will be partnering with their peers in NGAN as well as the Network Teams, National Operations, Customer Premise Equipment, Field Engineering and Operations and our Customer Experience and Technical Operations teams. Because of the critical nature of this role, executive leadership will be interacting with this leader.
This leader will have the opportunity to bring to market in scale the industry's first software defined virtualized platform which represents X1 for HSD delivery. We are not only changing the way the company will operate we are changing the industry, the access network vendor ecosystem and the world. The launch of the vCMTS is a critical junction in how we serve and operate HSD services to our customers. The transition to the vCMTS will change the high-speed data delivery platform and implement a new operating model will be developed and implemented.
The Vice President of Access Networks Development and Operations will have a team focused on the entire vCMTS life cycle. The team is comprised of high-powered developers who are helping to develop and code our next generation virtualized CMTS platform, an operations team preparing to operate the next generation vCMTS platform as well as a team of platform integrators and field integrators who make it all happen in close partnership with our divisions partners and a tools team which will develop the tools necessary to run this new platform.
As part of the development cycle, this leader will also have a of team of network and open source software defined network experts who are partnering with ONOS is the only SDN controller platform that supports the transition from legacy "brown field" networks to SDN "green field" networks.
RESPONSIBILITIES/CRIETERIA FOR SUCCESS:
- A teamwork focus with a facilitative leadership approach and an approachable demeanor is critical to success in this role
- The successful leader will be able to work well with the divisions during a time of change and organizational transition
- Able to work with national engineering to properly establish and staff a new vCMTS ops model
- Work together with other NAGN and the corporate engineering organization implementing a facilitative leadership approach to bring a large and diverse group together in a positive and constructive way
- This leader will need to be collaborative and able to influence peers in order to be successful in the role.
- Continuous and relentless execution and maniacal focus on execution
- Build team and drive NGAN culture
- Lead the day to day operations for vCMTS engineering, development, operations, and integration and deployment activities
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Expert knowledge of Access technology
- Expert knowledge of Comcast engineering and ops
- Strong networking knowledge
- Strong engineering and ops skills
- Strong knowledge of software development methodologies
- Ability to work well in a cross functional organization
- High level of accountability takes ownership of problems and sees them through to resolution
- High energy thrives in fast-paced, high-rate-of-change setting; ability to balance competing priorities in a very dynamic/fast paced environment
- Exceptional organizational and program management skills ability to breakdown and track complex projects, to integrate input from multiple sources, and to identify and track dependencies across projects
- Proven experience of building high performance, self-managing teams
- Strong leadership skills
TOLLS AND TECHNOLOGIES:
- Domain knowledge in networking
- Strong knowledge of software development comprehension of programming language paradigms, data structures, version control, networks and systems
- Opensource experience
15 years' experience in software engineering, 6 years relevant experience as an executive leader of large software engineering teams (100 )
- BS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field
- Advanced degree desirable
Travel as needed.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer