Comcast Principal Data Platform Architect in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
We are seeking a highly motivated, customer focused; solutions oriented Principal Data Platform Engineer. This position is accountable for developing systems & solutions capable of processing millions of events per second, providing both a real time and historical view into the operation of our wide-array of systems. Design collection and enrichment system components for quality, time lines, scale and reliability. Work on high performance real time data stores and a massive historical data store using best-of-breed and industry leading technology. Build platforms that allow others to design, develop, and apply advanced statistical methods and machine intelligence algorithms.
- Build core components needed to drive the next generation of data platforms and data processing capability.
- Build data products, identifying trouble spots, and optimizing the overall user experience with a robust data architecture capable of providing insights
- Drive standardization and service focused instrumentation
- Build capabilities that analyze massive amounts of data both in real-time and batch processing
- Prototype ideas for new tools, products and services across data management ecosystem
- Employ rigorous continuous delivery practices managed under an agile software development approach
- Ensure a quality transition to production and solid production operation of the platforms
- Raise the bar for the Engineering team by advocating leading edge practices such as CI/CD, containerization and TDD
- Be responsible for end-to-end software development in a DevOps model and enhance DevOps practices to deploy and operate systems
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues in development, test and production environments
- Collaborates with project stakeholders across software engineering teams to identify product and technical requirements. Conducts analysis to determine integration needs.
- Designs new software applications, supports applications under development, and customizes current applications. Assists with the software update process for existing applications, and rollouts of software releases.
- Researches, writes and edits documentation and technical requirements, including software designs, evaluation plans, test results, technical manuals and formal recommendations and reports.
- Lead development for new platform initiatives and provide technical leadership throughout the design process and guidance with regards to practices, procedures and techniques. Serves as a guide and mentor for junior-level Software Development Engineers.
- Works with Quality Assurance team to determine if applications fit specification and technical requirements.
- Displays in-depth knowledge of, and ability to apply, process design and redesign skills. Presents and defends architectural, design, and technical choices to internal audiences.
- Multi-task and prioritize with little to no supervision, providing team leadership skills.
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science, Statistics or related discipline is required.
- 8 years Data platform & programming experience
- Experience with Spark(AWS EMR), Spark Streaming &Batch, Hadoop/Cloduera,Hadoop (HDFS, YARN), Hives SQL/ Java, Kafka, MemSQL, Cassandra, HBase, MongoDB (NoSQL), Java, Scala, Git, Maven, Jenkins, Rancher, Puppet, Docker, Kubernetes, Oracle, Teradata and related skills/tools.
- Experience with Python and R is a plus.
- Experience in software development of large-scale distributed systems including proven track record of delivering backend systems that participate in a complex ecosystem.
- Experience in data related technologies and open source frameworks preferred
- Proficient in Unix/Linux environments
- Test-driven development/test automation, continuous integration, and deployment automation
- Enjoy working with data analysis, data quality and reporting
- Requires understanding of complete SDLC and Experience with continuous integration, test-driven/behavior-driven development, and agile, scrum development methodologies
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced agile environment and to work effectively across organizational boundaries
- Excellent communicator, able to analyze and clearly articulate complex issues and technologies understandably and engagingly
- Great design and problem solving skills
- Adaptable, proactive and willing to take ownership
- Keen attention to detail and high level of commitment
- Data mining, joining, and analyzing big data from multiple environments.
- Experience with advanced statistical and data mining techniques.
- Integrating business knowledge with technical functionalities.
- Providing consultative direction to develop long-term objectives to achieving business objectives.
- Working with other members of cross-functional team, third party vendors and business partners to deliver quality products in a timely fashion
- Understanding key business drivers and applying the knowledge of internal/external business issues to improve products and services.
- Anticipating and interpreting customer needs, assessing requirements and identifying solutions.
- Ability to initiate and follow through on complex projects of both short and long term duration required.
- Punctual, regular, and consistent attendance
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer