Comcast Open Source Technology Intern in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
The Comcast Technology Internship Program is an 11-weeksummer programdesigned to identify high-caliber talent to build our organization with the best and the brightest students.
Over the course of the summer, your experience will include:
- Engagement: Working on creative, innovative, and thought-provoking projects within various business units at Comcast during your internship experience.
- Exposure: An inside look into the day-to-day operations of an organization at the cutting edge of media and technology.
- Professional development: You will be exposed to a variety of professional development topics facilitated through our partners at Comcast University and senior leaders within the organization. These sessions are inclusive of speaker series, skill-building workshops, and networking opportunities.
- Mentorship: Mentoring from fellow colleagues through the Empowering Future Leaders Program (EFLP) to help you navigate your experience, provide coaching, and expand your professional network.
- Fun: Continuously develop relationships with fellow interns through social activities, community building, and networking.
Department and Position Overview:
Comcast TPX (Technology, Product and Experience)Open Source Practice, is seeking a talented intern to help in our first in class open source program office for Comcast Cable. This is a unique opportunity to play a key role in an exciting and disruptive part of Comcast's business.
The role will be part of a team responsible for creating and running programs that are designed to build and enhance Comcast support for open source software. The candidate would also help evaluate and build tools that can help with metrics, and community, and handling questions from the development community. Another aspect of the role is to build wide-spread awareness and understanding of the Comcast open source guidelines, process and resources. The ideal candidate has a passion for open source, software development, is interested in getting connected with the open source community such as the Linux Foundation, Apache Foundation, the Software Freedom Center and technology.
Employees at all levels are expected to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how you do your job
- Own the customer experience-think and act in ways that put our customers first, give them seamless digital options at every touchpoint, and make them promoters of our products and services
- Know your stuff-be enthusiastic learners, users and advocates of our game-changing technology, products and services, especially our digital tools and experiences
- Win as a team-make big things happen by working together and being open to new ideas
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System-a way of working that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company-by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do better for our customers
- Drive results and growth
- Respect and promote inclusion and diversity
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and our communities
- The intern will help with web design, development of web pages using HTML, and Java as required.
- The intern will also be working with the GitHub API to help automate metrics, and reporting. They should possess some basic working knowledge of browsers, editors, graphic design, working with APIs, and scripting.
- Other project ideas include: Automation and Redesign-w e are looking to have the newest and updated projects show up automatically, with an updated, new clean design. We want the site to be easy to navigate, clean, with a nice new layout. Design- the intern will work to design a clean website displaying open source projects that Comcast has developed.
Metrics- we want to see more numbers, and data backed behind some of the work that we're doing in open source. You will work to create metrics on the portal, such as most popular projects, projects with a thriving community, projects that have the most contributions, highlight the contributors, and more. You will work with Grafana, PostgreSQL, and other open source tools to build and automate the metrics dashboard. OSS Scanning tools development- you will add new features and support for an open source scanning tool and UI. You will also have the opportunity to upstream these enhancements to the corresponding open source project
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's degree from a United States-based college or university
- Majors: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineeringor a related field
- 3.0 GPA or higher
- Software development is a plus, with proficiencyin oneor more coding language.
- Interest in working in open source communities and on open source software.
- Demonstrates solid decision-making skills
- Proven analytical, organizational, and problem-solving ability
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and in group settings.
- Strong interest in the technology, telecommunications and media industries
- Current and future authorization to work in the United States of America
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer