Comcast Lead Industrial Designer in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
Who We Are:
Comcast's Experience Design (XD) teamis transforming how customers access and enjoy entertainment, communications and home management services across all channels-online, mobile and TV. We look for and create opportunities to educate, enlighten and whenever possible, delight, both new and existing customers. Our goal is to build long-lasting relationships using enhanced flows, smart features and self-healing solutions to foster trust and loyalty. By assembling the country's top designers and thinkers, we're rapidly becoming the premier environment for building and launching one-of-a-kind experiences that make everyday life easier and more entertaining for millions of people.
Who We're Looking For:
As a Lead Industrial Designer, you'll play a pivotal role in driving the delivery of hardware products related to the many efforts the XD team supports from concept to production. You are a passionate, hands-on contributor that is at the top of your game. You are skilled designer, on your way to be a master of your craft. You work well with others; both the leadership around you and helping to mentor the junior team below you. You are confident to defend your designs, but have the experience to pick and choose your battles.
Our team is on the front line bringing video, high speed data, remote control, and connected home products to market and you'll be essential in delivering never-before-thought-of experiences to our customers. You'll unify all aspects of a project, developing best practices while exploring new ideas to extend our design ecosystem. You understand customer behaviors and excel in a collaborative environment that includes other designers, engineers, researchers, strategists and architects to create beautiful, empowering, and meaningful products.
What You' ll Do:
- Oversee product design life cycle from initial research through conceptualization, to implementation of production tooling. This includes sketching proposals of initial designs, proposing alternative plans, and determining direction in collaboration with senior executives and outside vendors.
- Deliver high quality work on tight schedules in a dynamic, agile product environment.
- Lead efforts to develop and evolve Industrial design language and visual design standards for products that fulfill the physical extension of our brands and demonstrate our commitment to delivering premier experiences.
- Prepare sketches of ideas, detailed drawings, illustrations, renderings and 3D models.
- Work closely with research teams to study, understand and deliver on customer needs and expectations while also creating functional mockups for usability testing.
- Determine materials, construction, mechanisms, shapes, color, surface finish, manufacturing processes.
- Mentor and guide other designers to promote individual and team growth.
- Maintain a critical eye and an obsessive attention to detail.
- Craft presentations to support design from both strategic and tactical lenses from concept through delivery.
- Elevate and drive awareness of Comcast XD at home and abroad.
- Reports to the Senior Design Manager and helps inform, execute, and uphold design standards, processes, and cohesive user experiences across the hardware product line.
- An excellent online portfolio showcasing your understanding of Industrial Design principles. Consumer electronics experience is a must, while set top box, high speed data, remote control, or connected home design experience are pluses.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in the job offered or a related occupation.
- Visualization techniques to generate images of concepts, including freehand sketching, 2D design software expertise, 3D CAD modeling/rendering software (Solidworks / ProE / Keyshot ).
- Experience bringing products to market as part of a cross-functional team, including collaborating with vendors and factories at home and abroad (DFA / DFM).
- Deep knowledge of cross-platform usability standards and UI specifications.
- Ability to take a project from exploratory and conceptual version, through to final production assets.
- Strong organization skills with an ability to multi-task and execute against multiple projects running in parallel path.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer