Comcast Engineer, VOD Content Management in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Comcast's Technology. Product. Xperience. organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
This individual will be a member of the Video System Services team within the Product Engineering Organization. This team operates and manages aspects of Comcast's Video On Demand ingest, navigation and backend content delivery systems for over 25 million video customers providing holistic 24x7x365 support to our customers and business partners.
- Function as a key member of the team responsible for the day-to-day, 24x7x365 on-call engineering, system administration, and operation of Comcast's VOD (Video on Demand) video delivery systems.
- Analysis and troubleshooting of multiple issues in parallel, including XML analysis, data validation and correction / manipulation
- Troubleshoot issues in our Ingest processes (Linux and Windows systems), VOD systems, and databases, including identification of systemic issues, root cause analysis, and reconciliation of issues with input towards process improvement
- Define and implement best practices around various operation processes while working to enhance or expand our SLA
- Understand and ensure monitoring and alarming thresholds are present across all devices (iTRC, Nagios)
- Perform troubleshooting and problem resolution activities with other support teams (e.g. network support, NOC, vendors)
- Perform Windows Server and Linux operating system triage. Including log parsing, troubleshooting, configuration, support of said architecture within the confines of the Comcast VOD Ingest components
- Effectively communicate status of on-going issues to stakeholders while maintaining productive relationships with peer organizations and vendors enhancing our economies of scale
- Participation in an on-call rotation for after-hours coverage as needed
- Collaborate with peers in technically rooted collaborative sessions to either triage, augment or enhance our systems and processes
- At least (2) year experience with Windows or Linux systems (sys-admin, support or deployment)
- At least (2) years of troubleshooting or maintaining enterprise data management systems, including content management, billing or customer care systems
- Demonstrated ability to stay organized while multi-tasking between several projects, and to adapt to change
- Ability to work autonomously while collaborating with cross-departmental teams, provide technical guidance to peers
- Determine root cause analysis post mortem documentation, cross-train peers on outcomes
- Clear and effective verbal and written communication skills
- Experience operating and troubleshooting application servers
- Experience with SeaChange and/or Tandberg Video Delivery products
- Experience with large scale (multi-tier) caching delivery systems
- Experience designing SQL database schemas and optimizing queries (Oracle, Postgres, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle RAC, etc.)
- Experience with Aspera file transfer suites
- Experience with Splunk or other log aggregator tools
- Experience with Isilon or NetApp storage products
- Shell scripting
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Computer Science or equivalent in work experience and self-study.
- Advanced degree is a plus.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer