Comcast Associate Counsel, Patent in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
Responsible for providing legal support and guidance for: all aspects of patent application preparation and prosecution; patent-related issues in business and technology agreements; and patent-related issues arising in transactions, general business activities and operations.
- Assist in managing all aspects of patent application preparation and prosecution practice for a large portfolio of domestic and foreign matters.
- Capture and evaluate ideas and inventions with a strategic outlook.
- Supervise and manage outside patent prosecution counsel, and provide substantive review and guidance for all patent prosecution matters.
- Draft, review, and negotiate a wide range of intellectual property-related matters in commercial agreements such as license and distribution agreements, product development agreements, and joint venture agreements.
- Counsel business leaders and engineers on intellectual property-related issues arising in strategic business/development partnerships, technology and e-commerce agreements, and matters related to a wide range of product offerings and technology platforms.
Additional Responsibilities and General Duties within Comcast Law Department:
- Provide legal counsel in a particular subject area of expertise to business units.
- Dispense legal knowledge and expertise impacting business operations. Work closely with front line management and staff.
- Perform legal research when and as necessary to resolve legal issues and determine the appropriate course of action regarding a particular issue/case. Consult with and supervise outside counsel to develop legal strategies and resolve issues in routine matters.
- Perform duties consistent with strategic plans and directives as determined by more senior level management and attorneys.
- Consistently exercise sound and independent judgment and discretion in all matters.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Law Degree. Top 20% of class preferred.
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Member of a state bar in good standing, and eligible for Pennsylvania Bar or Pennsylvania Limited In-House Corporate Counsel License.
- Minimum 2-4 years of related patent preparation and prosecution experience in technology areas such as wireless technologies (e.g., cellular, Wi-Fi), data processing and delivery, video processing and distribution, Internet of Things (IoT) and automation, and related technologies.
- Experience is preferably with a recognized law firm and/or corporate legal department.
- Experience in patent litigation and preparation of patent-related opinions is a plus.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills for personal interaction with engineers, business leaders, and other attorneys.
- Demonstrated ability to formulate creative solutions to accomplish the company's objectives.
- Excellent drafting, negotiating, problem solving, and communications skills.
- Ability to work effectively with senior management and operations personnel, simultaneously manage multiple projects and meet deadlines with consistently high quality work.
- Familiarity with the following would be a plus: technology licensing (including open source software); broadband business and technology (video and content distribution, high speed Internet, VOD, DVRs, HDTV, and IPTV); digital media technologies; and user device applications.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer