Comcast Engineer 3, Operations Architect in Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Comcast's Technology & Product organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
Responsible for operating, deploying, managing, and continuously improving Comcast’s Voice, Video, Commercial, Data, Home Security, Systems, and Network services as well as associated infrastructure in a 7/24 environment. Examples of infrastructure include, but are not limited to: routers, CMTS, switches, optical and TDM transport, applications, servers, IP scopes, databases, etc. Position focuses on deploying and stabilizing new products, code, technologies, services, networks, systems, tools, and protocols; drives standardization, automation, and service focused instrumentation; provides subject matter expertise; resolves complex break/fix scenarios, engaging broader teams as necessary as well as partner with leads engineering, vendors, and regions to achieve continuous improvement. Serve as highest tier operations support for various field, CARE, vendors, and customer focused organizations. Leads all command and control-related activities focused on restoration of outages, communication across Comcast, and rapid restoration. Works and directly leads external vendors, third parties, and associated agencies, when necessary, to address issues across the PSTN, peering arrangements, inter-operability issues, etc. Works under consultative direction towards predetermined long range objectives. Determines and pursues course of action necessary to achieve results. Frequently serves as operation lead on specific projects, providing broad direction across teams.
- Demonstrated ability to review and analyze blueprints and design artifacts of Enterprise Applications to ensure architectural compliance of solutions with reliabilty criteria.
- Create and recommend technically sound solutions for instrumentation orchestration and reliability of the system.
- Participate in and provide consultation during architecture deep dive sessions.
- Adopt, communicate and provide assistance with new concepts, ideas, techniques, technologies and standard/best practices.
- Ability to analyze, create and or validate system or component test plans and results.
- Ability to perform impact, root cause analysis and develop recommendations for corrective and preventative solutions.
- Understanding of Messaging and Event based architecture.
- Familiar with Service Oriented Architecture, Webservices and Microservices architecture including REST and SOAP APIs.
- Good Knowledge of Java and/or .NET technology is a plus.
- Familiar with end-to-end development, including back-end database layer, web/ application server, Integration tier, UI /Proxy layer.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills. Technical writing experience is a plus
- Previous experience in systems: design, code, test, deploy and evaluate highly reliable programs and scripts in Perl, C, C , etc. is a plus.
- Previous experience in administration and deployment of configuration changes in a Weblogic, Unix, Linux environments a plus.
- Previous experience in the development and implementation of fail over systems and methodology a plus.
- Self-motivated and continual learning of new technologies and industry models and him/herself up to date.
- Develops produces, and reviews documentation, instructional and procedural manuals for other employees to utilize to resolve complex problems or make network improvements. Examples include: complex processes for acceptance of new products.
- Directs third party agencies (i.e. AT&T, Verizon,) internal resources, and external resources while troubleshooting and resolving complex peer-to-peer or vendor/supplier troubles focusing on rapid restoration. Devises and implements strategies for solution of related issues.
- Supports all Enterprise Applications tools and alarms; analyzes systems needs and determines prioritization of break/fix scenarios; implements code changes and suggests improvements.
- Ability to maintain and schedule multiple ongoing projects.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Accountable for understanding and managing services across highly complex ecosystems cutting across multiple technologies, organizations, people, companies, and solutions. Requires detailed understanding of complex inter and intra dependencies.
- Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent
- Engineering, Computer Science
- Generally requires 5-8 years related experience
- Understanding of Cloud application design principles.
- Working Knowledge of any Cloud computing platform (Steel Cloud ,Elastic Cloud, Cloud Foundry, AWS, Azure, etc).
- High level knowledge of Distributed Enterprise Applications including Load balancing.
- Experience in a version control system such as GitHub or SVN.
- Proficient in any coding/scripting language: Python, Node JS, Selenium, Java Programming language, etc.
- Understanding, experience and ability to work in an Agile/Scrum environment.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex or any other legally protected category.