Comcast Eng 3, Product Dev Engineering in Greenwood Village, Colorado
Comcast's Technology & Product organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. We work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
Responsible for assisting in the design of system architectures and solutions to bring to market new innovative products which span web service offerings. Assists in the planning, designing, integrating, testing, deploying and supporting of products.
- Create, maintain and monitor data flows in SQL and Vertica for consistency, accuracy and lag time
- Tool evaluation/selection/implementation including Backups/Retention/High Availability/Capacity Planning
- Develops solutions to a wide range of difficult applications, problems or procedures.
- Uses applied engineering concepts, skills and methodologies to help promote and embrace change.
- Works on small projects and issues within the group.
- Serves as a technical resource.
- Contributes to hands-on engineering.
- Works on projects and tasks ensuring desired results.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree or Equivalent
- Engineering, Computer Science
- Generally requires 5-8 years related experience
- Experience configuring and maintaining MySQL/Vertica databases in a Linux-based production environment with expertise in the areas of replication, backup/restore, clustering, DB mirroring, log shipping and performance tuning
- Experience with Linux administration and scripting languages (e.g. Python, Bash) and a passion for automation and DevOps
- Proven track-record of implementing solutions for database performance monitoring, storage optimization, SQL tuning and configuration management
- Experience removing, adding, and recovering Vertica nodes without disrupting the production environment.
- Comfort working in a Linux environment (CentOS) and leveraging Linux toolsets to measure and monitor system performance.
- Experience in scripting/programming languages. Preferred languages are Python, Perl, Java, Shell, .NET scripting,
- Understanding of database structure, design, query languages (e.g. SQL/Oracle, Linux), fundamentals of data warehousing, fundamentals of data modeling,
- Understanding of big data and large database mining tools a plus (e.g., Hadoop, Hive, Spark, R, etc.)
- Stays current on data analytics and programming trends (e.g., new tools, statistical methods, visualization techniques) as well as emerging technologies
- Must be a quick learner on new technologies and adapter in process.
- Possess a high degree of self-motivation.
- Possess effective organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Exhibits strong interpersonal skills including written and verbal communications, and an ability to collaborate with others.
- Shows respect to other team members and clients in all interactions.
- Demonstrates a willingness to assist other team members in areas outside of direct assignments when necessary.
- Collaborates in a virtual environment to complete projects with team members located in various locations.
- Utilizes creative thinking, individual initiative, and flexibility in prioritizing and completing tasks.
- Demonstrates ability to work in a complex, dynamic, and fast-paced environment.
- Exhibits a commitment to continuously self-improve by working with leadership to leverage strengths and focus on areas of development.
Employees at all levels are expect to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how you do your job
- Own the customer experience-think and act in ways that put our customers first, give them seamless digital options at every touchpoint, and make them promoters of our products and services
- Know your stuff-be enthusiastic learners, users and advocates of our game-changing technology, products and services, especially our digital tools and experiences
- Win as a team-make big things happen by working together and being open to new ideas
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System-a way of working that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company-by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do better for our customers
- Drive results and growth
- Respect and promote inclusion and diversity
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer