Comcast Sr Systems Engineer in Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Comcast's Technology & Product organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
This position will be primarily responsible for the management and administration of the tools and systems needed to support a complex network & server infrastructure. The engineer will have knowledge of head end cable technologies, video delivery (RF & IP), voice delivery, HFC & Wi-Fi. They will need to be familiar with automation tools and techniques. They will need to take the tasks and projects assigned and run with them with limited guidance while following the standards set forth by their senior leadership. They will need to be able engage other teams both in the organization and outside of it to accomplish the tasks. They should be able to provide the needed guidance to others to enable them to properly execute the design that has been agreed upon.
- Review and provide input to new technical requirements
- Ability to participate in defining overall approach and structure of lab designs
- Install and configure new test environment equipment
- Manage projects and provide status updates on projects
- Proactive identification and resolution of complex technical and operational issues.
- Perform bug verification, development and testing on reported issues as needed
- Ability to engage with vendors to resolve equipment issues and identify future needs
- Provide a Bill of Material for equipment required to meet future requirements
- Provide reports on a weekly basis of all system design and maintenance activity
- Coordinate activities between departments to ensure uninterrupted business operation
- Travel between labs may be required. Labs are currently located in PA and NJ. The employee would be based in Downingtown, PA where 90% of employee's work will take place
- Strong working knowledge of Outlook, MS Office programs, Visio, etc.
- Knowledge of performance monitoring and configuration management tools
- Basic routing knowledge (routers & switches)
- TCP/IP (telnet, ssh, ftp, tftp, etc.)
- UNIX administration (preferably SUN Solaris)
- Shell scripting (bash, vi, perl, etc.)
- Knowledge of digital cable architecture
- Configure multicast video and data transport devices
- Working experience with Cable modems, eMTAs, and STBs
- Must be very detailed oriented and have a passion for accuracy and completeness
- Must have good communication skills, working in teams and as an individual contributor
- Ability to clearly and concisely describe problems in both written and oral forms and communicate both orally and in writing in a clear, professional and pleasant manner
- Must be willing to accept additional assignments, and take the lead, and assist other team members as necessary
- Ability to work autonomously without close supervision or assistance
- Self-motivated with desire for continuous learning
- Bachelors in Computer Science, Engineering, Math, or equivalent job related experience/knowledge as determined by management
- Experience with cable TV or telecommunications industry is desired
- 5 years' experience in Cable, Head end and /or NOC environments
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer