Comcast Video Streaming DevOps Engineer (VIPER) in Denver, Colorado
Comcast's TPX (Technology.Product.Xperience) organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
Comcast is going to change the way America looks at television. Sound exciting? Then be a part of our next big thing. We're building the perfect product development environment and are hand-picking a dream team.
Are you passionate about digital media, entertainment, and software services? Do you like big challenges and working within a highly motivated team environment? If you rock, we want you here!
The VIPER Ops team is a small and fast-moving team of world-class experts who are innovating in end-to-end video delivery. We are a team that thrives on big challenges, results, quality, and agility.
We are looking for a Software Dev Engineer to operate and help innovate our most advanced, all-IP video delivery platforms. You will collaborate to identify and resolve issues impacting customers and apply your growing expertise to improve operational efficiency, increase system up-time and enable new innovation. Along the way, you will practice and evangelize an ethic of constant improvement within the team.
This role reports into the VIPER Operations cLinear Director and requires close coordination with critical internal customers in a DevOPs fashion with Engineering, Operations (big data, video delivery, mobile applications, networking, security) and Program Management as well as exceptional leaders across the enterprise.
What are some interesting problems you'll be working on? In your role, you will be upgrading, maintaining, and improving the IP Linear infrastructure which includes tracing defects through a cutting edge service oriented architecture to find root cause. You will also develop scripts and utilities to automate data collection from hundreds or thousands of servers. You will evaluate new code releases for basic reliability and systems integration support, providing guidance to QA teams who will perform functional and load testing.
Where can you make an impact? You'll be working with the best and brightest minds in Comcast to roll out the video delivery infrastructure that will power the next generation of television. Success in this role is characterized by a higher speed to market, with fewer customer-facing defects and outages.
- Day-to-day 24x7 support of our IP Linear environment for both Comcast and our Syndicated partners.that delivers IP based linear Video to our customers.
- Work with engineering teams on more efficient ways to automate and operate our infrastructure.
- Assist in all deployments of new services, and capacity augments.
- Development and maintain a capacity model for our growing Cloud architecture.
- Participate in the ground up design and planning for all future products and services for Comcast's IP Linear Video platform.
- Troubleshooting errors with proprietary and open source applications in production and pre-production environments
- Identifying, implementing, and documenting of technical SOPs for maintenance tasks
- Monitor the health and status of systems under your management
- Ability to create and maintain policies, standards and overall system documentation
- Troubleshoot infrastructure and network issues as possible causes of poor service performance.
- Respond to alerts, including those escalated to you by our Product Support team.
- Contribute in writing and in person to root case analysis meetings as part of process improvement.
- Support code deployments to Development and Production environments.
- Work closely with peer teams to deliver high availability and optimum performance for critical "internal customers" - video and metadata engineering, Business and Product.
- Provide occasional, scheduled 24/7 escalation support as part of an on-call team.
- Occasional day and over-night travel for training and cross-team meetings.
Here are some of the specific technologies used in our architecture:
- Cisco UCS VMWare
- The ideal candidate has a strong Linux Administration background along with scripting experience (BASH, Python, Pearl, etc.). Operations experience is also a plus.
Advanced knowledge of Linux OS, shell scripting and GNU tools
A keen analytical, structured and detail-oriented approach to problem solving required.
- Formal training and experience in object-oriented and/or functional programming required.
- Significant application support background, e.g. Unix / Web middleware development and/or QA
- High confidence in the following required: J2EE app servers, Java, Groovy, XML, http
- Familiarity with puppet/ chef, extensive knowledge of network protocols; as well as Web software architecture and frameworks.
- 2ndand 3rdtier technical support experience in Jetty/Web/Java type applications
- Performance-oriented understanding of software and hardware architecture.
- Production operations experience required, e.g. Root Cause Analysis and process improvement.
- Strong foundation in the following technologies desired: Python, Perl, MemSQL, Puppet.
- Familiarity with Windows Server OS, .NET framework and IIS.
- Experience in virtual networks (VMware), Web Services, e-commerce & streaming media a plus
- Customer-first attitude and strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Adept and comfortable working in a rapidly changing matrix environment required.
- Video encoding and transcoding systems administration and operation a big plus.
- Familiarity with Web content management systems is a big plus.
- Good communicator and able to clearly articulate complex issues and technologies
- Great design and problem solving skills
- Willing to take ownership of problems and see them through to resolution
- Comfortable working in a fast paced agile environment. Requirements change quickly and our team needs to constantly adapt to moving targets.
VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research), is a startup division within Comcast's Technology and Product Division and spun out from IP Video and online projects originated within Comcast Interactive Media is based in downtown Denver, CO. We are a cloud-based, IP video infrastructure that's been built to deliver a broad mix of on-demand video, live TV streams and an assortment of other digital media to an array of connected devices in the home.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer