Comcast Sr. Director, Product Management, Content Origination in Denver, Colorado
Comcast's Technology & Product organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
Comcast’s X1 product experience changed the way people think about television. Do you want to shape how people will watch TV next? Can you create and drive the agenda for how leading-edge technology is applied to deliver innovation in the entertainment and digital media services? Do you like big challenges and enjoy collaborating with top-notch engineers to build and deliver big and bold ideas? Stop watching from your couch and grab a seat at the table to shape the future of entertainment.
We are looking to add a Senior Director, Product Management to provide leadership in the evolution of how we acquire, process, and deliver content to our customers and our partners. The Senior Director, Product Management (Content Origination) will work with our Philadelphia, Denver, Virginia, and Sunnyvale-based Product and Engineering teams, to ensure that we are providing high-quality, high-performance pathways for our partners’ content to get to our customers efficiently.
This position is located in Denver, CO (preferred), or Philadelphia, PA.
What is the X1 Content Acquisition System?
The X1 Content Acquisition System is a series of workflows that bring in content from a variety of sources, both real-time and file-based, and make them available to efficiently across our networks enabling a full breadth of media entertainment product offerings for consumers in the home and on the go.
X1 Content Acquisition System platforms include: File & Stream Receivers, Real-Time Linear Encoders & Packagers, OnDemand File-Based Encoders & Packagers, Content Metadata Receivers, Linear Origin Servers, OnDemand Origin Servers, and Cloud DVR Recorders & Origin Servers.
Encoders include both vendor-based and internally-developed solutions that encode and package content in multiple resolutions and bitrates, in multiple profiles, for efficient delivery across our networks to devices ranging from large-screen televisions, to laptops and tablets, to smartphones – all at the highest quality practical for each device type.
Who does the Senior Director, Product Management (Content Origination) work with?
As the Senior Director, Product Management, Content Origination, you will be working with the best and the brightest product and technology minds at Comcast that are redefining how entertainment services are experienced inside and outside the home through its multi-Emmy award winning X1 platform. You will lead a team that serves as champions for content creators and customers (end user and/or business customers) and bridge the gap between business and technical to deliver products that customers love.
You will work closely with our engineers to guide products from conception to launch. You will also work with members of the Video Infrastructure Product team as well as product teams in sister organizations such as X1 and Advanced Applications to drive end-to-end product requirements and support delivery of products and services. You will collaborate with our content owners and business partners to understand their needs, and turning them into successful products/service offerings.
What are some interesting problems you'll be working on?
You will lead the product evolution for Content Origination. This will be a challenging and interesting experience for several reasons.
- First, in typical Comcast fashion, the company continues to reinvest in core systems. Comcast is executing an unprecedented cable system migration to an all IP delivery and playout environment where the Content Origination is the core foundation providing video content to the larger video ecosystem.
- Second, the scale of active engineering at Comcast is driving innovation. Solution discoveries continue to be made across the video system at large. Improvements are driving efficiencies to the system, efficiencies to the bottom line, and new & better user experiences for our customers.
- Third, Comcast continues to pursue the best content rights and an ever-expanding entertainment product portfolio. As new products are introduced, Comcast will have further obligations to advance the video system with additional kinds of content to meet and exceed sophisticated consumers (and content provider) interests.
- You will lead and grow a team of product managers guiding the execution of this evolution, developing people as well as products.
Where can you make an impact?
You'll join a team that is rapidly changing the landscape of TV and redefining the industry through its video delivery infrastructure that will power the next generation of television. In your role, you will have opportunity to redefine how TV content is enjoyed inside and outside the home on devices of consumers' choice. Major entertainment and sporting events such as Oscars, Olympics provide you opportunities to innovate and offer new content experiences to customers.
Take what we have and make it better
Revise and maintain the content acquisition & origination product strategy
- Identify and embrace market- and invention-opportunities
- Translate the strategy into a product roadmap that can be developed/executed
Like people, and be good at working with them
Manageand growa team of product managers
- Collaborate with business partners and customers to understand their needs and challenges
- Collaborate with other product management teams to leverage best practices
- Collaborate with development engineers to identify practical solutions to product needs
- Collaborate with program managers to align work with other teams to ensure delivery
Work with Research to conduct customer, market, and competitive intelligence
- Spend time with customers understand what they need and why
- Utilize data-driven decision-making to regularly assess performance of products/services and identify areas of opportunity for changes
- Balance your focus between 0-12-month deliverables (80%) and 3-5 year deliverables (20%)
Tell others what you are doing
Define, track and improve key product metrics for usage and content consumption
- Communicate with executives & stakeholders on product usage & performance, and gather feedback
Have passion for television
Participate in multiple Lab Weeks & hackathons throughout the year
Experience as a content encoding or content origination product owner defining vision and strategy for some of the following:
Content acquisition systems (real-time streaming or file-based)
- Content encoding solutions (hardware or software)
- Content transcoding solutions (hardware or software)
- Content packaging systems (hardware or software)
- Content origin servers & CDN’s
- Advanced media formats and codecs such as MPEG-DASH, DASH-BMFF, HEVC, and UHD
- Third party device integration including closed set-tops and televisions as well as mobile and desktop models
- Enterprise server development and devOps
Experience managing people
Ability to supervise and guide product managers
- Ability to mentor and grow individuals through coaching and influence
- Track record of developing individuals into higher roles & levels within an organization
- Experience creating strong team relationships and desirable collaboration
- Ability to rebalance roles & responsibilities as the team grows or strategic priorities evolve
Experience managing products
Ability to negotiate and prioritize requests from multiple stakeholders to maximize the impact and value
- Ability to communicate a vision and drive interest / adoption among multiple stakeholders
- Ability to organizing multiple internal technical teams, as well as vendors for outsourced activities
- Strong analytical & planning skills; know when perfect is the enemy of good
- Good collaboration and interpersonal skills, ability to build and maintain relationships
- Ability to make decisions quickly and independently; good shipped, is better than perfect on paper
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; capable of interacting with customers and Senior Leadership on complex topics
- Ability to travel as needed; typically, 20%
Experience working with content creator’s/programmer’s technical teams is a plus
Conference speaking experience a plus
About Comcast VIDEO
The VIDEO team is an organization within Comcast's Technology and Product group which supports the Product Management, Research & Development, Engineering and Operations for Comcast's World Class Video Experiences in use by Comcast and Syndicated Partners. We support both legacy QAM VIDEO Delivery and the Next Generation IP Video Platform infrastructure from Content Acquisition to the Player Consuming experiences, and control the end-to-end VIDEO delivery platforms. These platforms deliver video for live linear, video on-demand and cloud DVR services consumed by more than 20 million customers both in-home and out of home on STB's, connected TV, mobile and desktop products.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer