Comcast DevOps Engineer, VIPER Operations in Denver, Colorado
Comcast's Technology. Product. Xperience. organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
Are you passionate about digital media, entertainment, and software services? Do you like big challenges and working within a highly motivated team environment?
As a DevOps engineer on the VIPER Alternate Content Ops team, you will you will be working with cutting edge, next gen architecture of Advance Advertising, Blackouts and Virtual Stream Stitching on our T6VOD, T6Linear and TV Everywhere platforms. The VIPER Alternate Content Ops team is a new, small and fast-moving team of world-class experts who are innovating in end-to-end Alternate Content video delivery. We are a team that thrives on big challenges, results, quality, and agility.
Who does the AltCon DevOps engineer work with?
AltCon DevOps engineers are positioned in office neighborhoods with the core infrastructure development teams. We work with network engineers, systems administrators, software engineers, and a pile of technically-adept-but-not-actually-technical product folks. The AltCon team is a diverse collection of software engineers, systems administrators, network administrators, puppet developers, and quality assurance engineers from all walks of life. We're a group of experienced technical minds who are the last word when it comes to solving problems encountered by our TPX production support teams.
What are some interesting problems you'll be working on?
In your role, you will bridge the gap between development and production support solve complex problems found in production and work directly with our development team to enhance the customer experience. Trace defects through a cutting-edge SaaS architecture to find root cause and assist in creation of next release solutions/improvements to software applications. Develop scripts and utilities to automate data collection from hundreds or thousands of nodes. Query big data stores (splunk, hadoop, memsql) to quantify the scope of reported issues. Create new metrics and identify monitoring deliverables with site reliability engineering. Evaluate new code releases for basic reliability and systems integration support, providing guidance to QA & SIT teams who will perform functional and load testing.
Where can you make an impact?
You'll be working with the best and brightest minds in Comcast to while we roll out the video delivery infrastructure that will power the next generation of television. Success in this role is characterized by a higher speed to market, with fewer customer-facing defects and outages. Developing monitoring solutions, working with developers to create improved, efficient logging that will help our team spot the issue before the loss of revenue and preserve the customers QOE.
- Implement technical infrastructure solutions to support the deployment of advanced IP video technologies and services.
- Oversee configuration and capacity management of infrastructure domains for production environments.
- Monitor and maintain large-scale fault tolerant and distributed virtual machine and container farms, supporting various advanced IP video engineering teams.
- Development of tools and/or processes for monitoring and managing virtualization and container based systems.
- Develop and deliver self-service resource provisioning, providing a consistent user experience for VIPER IP video engineering and development teams.
- Collaborate, support and implement forward-looking designs provided by Platform Infrastructure Engineering.
- Support Platform CI/CD Development initiatives to assist in the deployment, research and augmentation of platform automation in order to remove manual operations.
- Foster cross-functional knowledge sharing and mentoring amongst the various engineering teams.
Here are some of the specific technologies we use for Dynamic Ad Insertion, Blackouts & Virtual Stream Stitching :
Operating Systems & Applications
CentOS, CoreOS Linux
- Jira & Confluence
VMware vSphere, vCenter, vCloud, vRA
- Kubernetes & Docker
Compute & Storage Platforms
- Generic Compute Distributed Object
- Storage Cleversafe object storage
- NetApp storage solutions
Skills & Requirements
- 5 years of hands-on experience in systems administration and engineering.
- Strong ability to collaborate with peers and stakeholders around system designs, capacity, road maps and resource allocation.
- Strong experience with Capacity Planning and Infrastructure Monitoring.
- Experience Data Center Operations planning and driving efficiencies across the infrastructure.
- Experience with developing and enforcing standards and best practices in managing large scale cloud infrastructure.
- Strong experience with infrastructure sizing and scaling dependent upon application load and demand.
- Highly proficient in managing Linux based systems and cloud infrastructure.
- Experience with a variety of Unix/Linux automation and scripting languages such as Python, BASH & Puppet.
Proficiency with the following:
VMware 5/6, CoreOS/Docker/Kubernetes
- DNS, DHCP, PXE booting and Apache/HTTP
- Blade server architectures, Generic Compute Platforms
- NAS/NFS/Object storage technologies
- Experience with OpenStack Cloud Computing.
- Experience with CI/CD methodologies.
- Experience with large scale infrastructure automation.
- Experience with distributed system architectures.
- Knowledge of Hyper-converged and Immutable Infrastructure.
- Strong knowledge of networking concepts (VLAN, TCP/IP, Multicast, Unicast, OSI).
- Strong communicator and able to clearly articulate complex issues and technologies.
- Ability to propose systems design and configuration improvements.
- Must be able to work independently, be self-motivated and handle multiple priorities.
- Capable of supporting hundreds of systems both virtual and physical.
- Ability to plan, organize and document complex system designs.
- High attention to detail and strong ability to problem solve systems issues.
- Good communicator and able to clearly articulate complex issues and technologies
- Great design and problem-solving skills
- Willing to take ownership of problems and see them through to resolution
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced agile environment. Requirements change quickly and our team needs to constantly adapt to moving targets.
About Comcast VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research)
VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research), is a startup division within Comcast's Technology, Product, Xperience (TPX) Division and spun out from IP Video and online projects originated within Comcast Interactive Media is based in downtown Denver, CO. We are a cloud-based, IP video infrastructure that's been built to deliver a broad mix of on-demand video, live TV streams and an assortment of other digital media to an array of connected devices in and out of our customers home.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer