Comcast Sr. Manager, Platform Engineering in Austin, Texas
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
The Comcast Austin Innovation Center is seeking a Software Engineering Manager to join our Xfinity Home Platform Engineering team, responsible for developing the platform for Comcast's Home Security and IoT products. In this role, you will lead a team of software engineers in the planning, design and implementation of software, micro-services, serverless and web applications. You will manage projects from design to testing, including new programs, enhancements, and modifications and collaborate with Quality Assurance team to deliver high quality results.
- Aspiring people-leader with strong technical background in Java and/or AWS serverless.
- Ability to be hands-on within the team including writing code, performing code reviews and actively managing team commitments
- Passion for mentoring and helping others grow as individuals and within the company
- 5 years managing software engineers, setting goals and developing career plans
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Knowledge of Software Development Life Cycle and Agile methodologies
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration and Deployment processes and tools
- Fundamental understanding HTTP and RESTful interfaces
- A strong passion for learning and adapting to new technologies
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Desired Technical Background
- Java or J2EE application development
- Oracle Fusion Middleware including Weblogic and Database
- RESTful API interfaces and programming
- Serverless architectures (Lambda, EC2, ECS)
- Dynamo and RDS
- Experience AWS IoT is a major plus
- Oversees the planning and designing of software and web applications, including new programs, enhancements, and modifications.
- Provides guidance to Software Engineering team and other departments in identifying product and technical requirements. Serves as primary point of contact and liaison between Software Engineering and other teams.
- Directs implementation initiatives for new software products and applications. Organizes software update process for existing applications and coordinates the roll-out of software releases.
- Manages all the deliverables to ensure adherence to deadlines, specifications, and budgets. Implements performance metrics and prepares periodic reports. Monitors and tracks project progress and reports findings to leadership team.
- Ensures all engineers keep current with technological developments within the industry. Monitors and evaluates competitive applications and products.
- Develops proposals, hardware/software changes and other capital expenditure projects.
- Manages professional and non-exempt employees, conducting work performance reviews and ensures work performance is adhering to Company standards. Mentors, trains and develops staff.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Demonstrating interest in others, encourages adaptive development and promotes a sustainable team culture.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer