Comcast Software Engineer in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
Java Engineer, Platform & APIs Team, Advanced Applications Engineering (AAE) (E3SWDEV)
Billions of requests.Millionsof Customers. Be part of Comcast's TVX Advanced Application Engineering Platform and APIs team! Our team designs, builds, and operates the APIs that power Comcast's X1 web and mobile properties. Reliability and performance at this scale require complex information systems to be made simple. We are looking for a Staff Level Engineer who is able to listen to stakeholders and clients, understand technical requirements, collaborate on solutions, and deliver technology services in a high velocity, dynamic, "always on" environment. As a member of the AAE Platform and APIs team you will work with other engineers and DevOps practitioners to produce mission-critical applications & infrastructure, tools, and processes that enable our systems to scale at a rapid pace. One day might involve creating an API that returns a customer's channel lineup or performance tuning of a Java web application; the next may be building tools to enable continuous delivery.
Technology snapshot: Akamai, Apache, CFEngine, Git/Gerrit, Graphite, Java, Linux, Memcached, Nagios, Netapp, Oracle, Riak, Ruby, Scala, Splunk, Spring, Tomcat, Vmware, OpenStack, TerraForm, Ansible
Where we headed?
Our goal is to build, scale and guard the systems that delight our customers. To do so, you will need strong skills in the following areas:
As a member of Advanced Application Engineering's Platform and APIs Team, you will be an active contributor in our cross-functional project team, and you'll work closely with other software and QA engineers to build quality, scalable products that delight our customers. Responsibilities range from high-level logical architecture through low-level detailed design and implementation, including:
- With guidance from Sr. members of the team, design, build, deliver and scale sophisticated high-volume web properties and agreed upon solutions from the catalog of TVX application services.
- Collaborate with project stakeholders to identify product and technical requirements. Conducts analysis to determine integration needs.
- Participate with team in defining design process, practices, procedures and techniques.
- Write code that meets functional requirements and is testable and maintainable. Have a passion for test driven development.
- Work with Quality Assurance team to determine if applications fit specification and technical requirements.
- Produce technical designs and documentation at varying levels of granularity.
- Strong academic background or relevant job history showing a foundation in the Software Engineering field.
- Familiarity with the fundamental concepts behind Object Oriented Design
- Desire to develop Software testing techniques
- Strong technical written and verbal communication skills.
- A sense of ownership, initiative, and drive and a love of learning!
Nice to Have Qualifications
- Software Development experience in Java with an understanding of Spring, Hibernate frameworks and REST based architecture.
- An understanding of caching especially in HTTP compliant caches.
- An understanding of the HTTP protocol.
- UNIX background (Solaris/Linux)
- Familiarity with cloud computing (OpenStack, S3, SQS, Hadoop...).
- Experience with Scala, Ruby on Rails, Akka
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering or Computer Science or a related field, or relevant work experience.
- Generally requires 5-8 years related experience
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer