Comcast Senior Manager, Engineering in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Comcast's Technology & Product organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
Responsible for the implementation of overall technical vision and direction of the department. The Sr. Manager Engineering will play a key role in the evolution, deployment and optimization of next-generation access architectures and systems to support delivery of advanced data, voice and video services throughout Comcast systems. The Sr. Director Engineering will actively engage with Technology, Field Operations, and Network Operations departments within C-ANTO to define initial deployment standards for new technologies and platforms and document best practices; assist with assessment of new technology solutions and equipment evaluations; and assist with selection of best-fit access solutions that will meet national service deployment targets across multiple lines of business.
This position demands excellent understanding of key access technologies and services including coaxial and fiber transmission media, DOCSIS protocols, EPON, Metro Ethernet, Cell Back Haul, EoHFC, DWDM, CWDM, CCAP, and DPoE platforms.
- Provide Comcast regions and divisions with technical leadership to guide the integration of next-generation technologies and solutions into Comacst access networks. Ensure compliance and clear communications of access network architecture strategies.
- Work with the Technology, Field Operations, Network Operations, and Capacity departments within C-ANTO to define deployment standards and document best practices. Work with EPS, Business Unit, divisional and regional engineering teams, and vendor teams to select best-fit platform solutions. Be an active contributor to the cross-functional project planning process to support access technology trials and early deployments. Assist in the development of trial plans and use cases. Ensure that teams stay on track to meet national objectives and priorities
- Act as subject matter expert to Division and field engineering teams to ensure wide dissemination of national technical standards and policies, collect and consolidate field deployment issues and concerns, and incorporate relevant developments into architectural templates and practices.
- Provide recommendations, design and implementation guidance associated with new services and features to Comcast Residential and Commercial Services teams
- Partner with access technology vendors, and Comcast Purchasing teams, to drive standard product configurations and simplify product offerings
Desired Skills & Experience QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related discipline
- Experience with access technologies including design, deployment, and operations. Exposure to EPON, DWDM, and other transport technologies a must. Must be familiar with current industry standards and trends
- Good understanding of current Comcast end-to-end service deployment and provisioning processes.
- Demonstrated ability to work with cross-functional teams; must be able to multi-task in a demanding and deadline driven environment with minimum supervision
- Very strong oral and written communications a must. Experience presenting to industry peers a must. Organizational, planning, and critical thinking skills will be critical to this position.
- Must possess strong analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills (process flows, analysis, measurements, and quality improvement methodologies). Must be able to perform basic business case analyses /calculations, and to compare opportunity costs and benefits between different alternatives
8. Willingness to travel as needed; typical travel will be 50% or greater.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer