Comcast Principal Software Engineer, IPTV in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
The Principal Engineer in the CPE SW Platform Engineering group provides technical leadership across Video CPE products and technologies. The individual in this role will serve as a lead engineer in building next generation IPTV platform stack to most efficiently consume IP Video streams delivered to the CPE device using adaptive streaming protocols such as DASH/HLS and has a solid grasp of DRM technology used in the IP Video space. This role also leads the evaluation of new products/features, and drives new feature and product initiatives into the Quality Assurance organizations and Operations and will be looked to as the subject matter expert in the IP Video space.
The role requires strong leadership and solid communications skills. The Principal Engineer position requires the ability to work with Product Managers to define product requirements, provide direction to the Product Development engineering team, and drive the product through development and testing.
The Principal Engineer must be able to work with cross-functional team members to identify tasks, drive development, and serve as technical interface to vendors, RDK community partners and open source community to drive technology into our products.
- Work with cross-functional teams, third party vendors, and company product managers to define product specifications / technical requirements, and provide leadership in delivering quality products in a timely fashion.
- Keeps current with technological developments within the IP Video industry. Monitors and evaluates competitive applications and products and constantly strives to build best in class solutions for our customers.
- Provides technical leadership throughout the software life cycle process and guidance with regards to practices, procedures, and techniques. Serves as a guide and mentor for junior Engineers.
- Communicate with stakeholders including development teams, operations, product and Sr. Leadership as required
- At least 10 years' software development experience with a recent focus on IP Video player and related DRM technology.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field; Masters degree in Computer Science preferred
- Strong programming language skill in C/C in embedded environment.
- Experience with a variety of scripting languages such as Bash and Python
- Experience with FFMPEG, DASH-BMFF, HLS, MPEG2 TS and DRM such as PlayReady, Widevine etc
- Experience developing multi-threaded and high performance software.
- Well-versed and proficient with networking technologies and protocols.
- Proficient in Unix/Linux environments.
- Strong design and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Fast learner with a strong desire to learn
- Team player comfortable working in a fast paced agile environment
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer