Comcast Director, Product Management, X1 Content Security Ecosystem in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Comcast's Technology & Product organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
Are you passionate about shaping the future of how people will watch TV? Can you set the agenda for how leading-edge technology is applied to deliver innovation in the entertainment and digital media services? Do you like big challenges and enjoy collaborating with top-notch engineers to build and deliver big and bold ideas?
What is the X1 Content Security Ecosystem?
The X1 Content Security Ecosystem is a series of workflows interleaving operations infrastructure, security platforms, and hardened devices integrated to deliver an industry leading security ecosystem enabling a full breadth of media entertainment product offerings for consumers in the home and on the go.
X1 Content Security Ecosystem platforms include: Keying Operations Center, Supply Chain Integration Platform, Certificate Authority, Field Credential Provisioning Platform, Identity Management System, Encryption & DRM System, and multi-DRM Licensing Platform integrated with our back office.
Devices hosting security stacks span servers and millions of client devices including set-tops designed and manufactured by Comcast, third-party set-tops, Internet-connected Televisions, and IOS, Android, & Personal Computing devices.
Each host security stack, whether client or server, are hardened by a layered security model. Closed devices, including clients and servers, are founded on secure boot and hardware crypto modules while open clients are founded on software crypto modules. A series of security layers, such as Trusted Execution and Security Logic, is then integrated up to branches of security application logic facilitating orchestration with broader standards-based, vendor proprietary, and custom security frameworks such as Identity Management, 3rdParty DRM, and Device Credential Management frameworks.
The collection of frameworks and integrated layers provides the end to end media protection system. The system is scaled to provide a commercial reality for safeguarding media delivery to millions of customer screens. Distribution not only includes Comcast but also as a syndicated system to enrich the video experience for Comcast partners and their customers.
Who does the Director, Product Management, Content Security Ecosystem work with?
As Director of Product Management, Content Security Ecosystem, you will be working with the best and the brightest product and technology minds at Comcast that are redefining how entertainment services are experienced inside and outside the home through its Emmy award receiving X1 platform. You will serve as a champion for customers (end user and/or business customers) and bridge the gap between business and technical to deliver products that customers love. You will work closely with our engineers to guide products from conception to launch. You will also work with members of the Video Infrastructure Product team as well as product teams in sister organizations such as X1 and Advanced Applications to drive end-to-end product requirements and support eventual delivery of product or a service. You will collaborate with our innovators in taking raw ideas and turning them into successful products/service offerings.
What are some interesting problems you'll be working on?
You will lead the product evolution for the Content Security Player Ecosystem. This will be a challenging and interesting experience for several reasons.
First, in typical Comcast fashion, the company continues to reinvest where the cable video system is no exception. Comcast is executing an unprecedented cable system migration to an all IP delivery and playout environment where the Content Security Platform is cross cutting and integral to virtually all aspects of the larger video ecosystem.
Second, the scale of active engineering at Comcast is driving innovation. Solution discoveries continue to be made across the video system at large. Improvements are driving efficiencies to the system, efficiencies to the bottom line, and new & better user experiences for our customers. The Content Security program is a significant source of new inventions.
Third, Comcast continues to pursue the best content rights and an ever-expanding entertainment product portfolio. As new products are introduced, Comcast will have further obligations to advance the video system with security feature enhancements to meet and exceed sophisticated content provider interests in security.
Finally, this is a unique opportunity for a seasoned media industry security engineer because of the sheer breadth of disciplines in applied security engineering and the entertainment industry.
Unlike industry security roles typically dedicated to one major disciplinary area such as PKI/CA or Identity Management, this role encompasses virtually all security engineering disciplines plus commercial engineering & hosting across: supply chain integration, embedded HW security, security modules and token technology, PKI/CA/X.509, key management, keying operations, host hardening, software application security, security protocols, media encryption, vendor-specific DRM licensing, and third-party device security integration.
Where can you make an impact?
You'll join a team that is rapidly changing the landscape of TV and redefining the industry through its video delivery infrastructure that will power the next generation of television. In your role, you will have opportunity to redefine how TV content is enjoyed inside and outside the home on devices of consumers' choice. Major entertainment and sporting events such as Oscars, Olympics provide you opportunities to innovate and offer new content experiences to customers.
- Leads overall Content Security Product Strategy
- Defines Content Security Product vision and builds a strong team environment of innovation and desirable collaboration across teams.
- Energizes an organization and builds management and cross functional support for the Player Platform vision.
- Define Vision and Roadmap for the Player Platform aligned with company's overall business objectives.
- Identify market opportunities and launch new product features; improve existing features.
- Balance between short term (6 months) activities and longer term (18-24 months) objectives.
- Drive new products/services strategies, features and requirements in collaboration with other product managers as well as stakeholders from Business, Syndication Partners, Legal/Regulatory, Marketing, Divisions, Business Intelligence, Architecture, Engineering, Operations, and Care.
- Develop thorough understanding of the customer through research, quantitative metrics, and direct customer interactions about usage of Comcast as well as competitive product/service offerings.
- Identify and help drive activities of other Comcast product and engineering groups needed for a product/service feature
- Collaborate closely with engineering team to clearly communicate requirements and help determine the best technical implementation methods as well as a reasonable execution schedule.
- Partner with project/program managers for co-ordination and execution of product/service feature development and deployment activities with engineering, QA, and operations.
- Uses data driven decision making process, including direct interaction with users, to constantly assess performance of new products/services to evaluate its desired business impact (revenue, NPS score, # of users, SLAs, SLOs) and implement necessary tweaks/fixes as needed
- Update and consult with senior executives on the product usage, performance, improvements, etc.
- Assist in generation, evaluation, incubation, and validation of new product ideas in collaboration with engineering and other business stakeholders.
Skills & Requirements:
- Leadership experience as a security product owner defining long range vision and strategy
- Engineering management experience organizing multiple internal technical and management teams as well as vendors for outsourced activities
- Keying operations
- PKI, Certificate Authority, and X.509 Standards
- Security part design, manufacture, and OEM integration
- Application integration with hardware and software crypto modules
- Credential integration with hardware and software crypto modules
- Credential management for enterprise and large device populations
- Enterprise server development and devOps
- Server, host, and application security and hardening integrating and configuring mechanisms such as SELinux, HW enforced trusted execution, and SW protected trusted execution
- Cryptographic security protocols for messages and networks
- Network layer security
- Security framework standards for applications such as Identity Management
- Encryption and DRM integration with W3C Premium Video technologies such as EME, MSE, WebCrypto and advanced media formats and codecs such as MPEG-DASH, DASH-BMFF, HEVC, and UHD
- Third party device integration including closed set-tops and televisions as well as mobile and desktop models
- Demonstrated ability to gather requirements across diverse functional areas and convert them into a compelling product vision.
- Entrepreneurial drive and demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in an innovative and fast-paced agile environment
- Strong analytical & strategic planning skills; ability to set clear objectives and priorities to drive execution
- Strong organizational skills, ability to breakdown and track complex projects, to integrate input from multiple sources, and to identify and track dependencies across projects
- Strong communication skills; capable of interacting with stakeholders at all levels such as customers, engineers, and Senior Leadership on complex topics.
- Ability to negotiate and prioritize requests from multiple stakeholders to maximize the impact and value for engineering efforts
- Strong collaboration and interpersonal skills, ability to build and maintain relationships, to influence without direct authority
- Ability to make decisions quickly and independently; know when perfect is the enemy of good; use of data driven processes for decision making
- Experience dealing with vendors, especially in the Consumer Electronics space, is a plus
- Conference speaking experience a plus.
- Willingness to travel for meetings and conferences.
BS or MS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field
About Comcast VIDEO
The VIDEO team is an organization within Comcast's Technology and Product group which supports the Product Management, Research & Development, Engineering and Operations for Comcast's World Class Video Experiences in use by Comcast and Syndicated Partners. We support both legacy QAM VIDEO Delivery and the Next Generation IP Video Platform infrastructure from Content Acquisition to the Player Consuming experiences we control the end-to-end VIDEO delivery platforms. These platforms deliver video for live linear, video on-demand and cloud DVR services consumed by more than 20 million customers both in-home and out of home on stb's, connected tv, mobile and desktop products.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer