Comcast Engineer 3, Engineering Operations in Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
Responsible for operating, deploying, managing, and continuously improving Comcast's Voice, Video, Commercial, Data, Home Security, Systems, and Network services as well as associated infrastructure in a 7/24 environment.
Examples of infrastructure include, but are not limited to: routers, CMTS, switches, optical and TDM transport, applications, servers, IP scopes, databases, etc.
Position focuses on deploying and stabilizing new products, code, technologies, services, networks, systems, tools, and protocols; drives standardization, automation, and service focused instrumentation; provides subject matter expertise; resolves complex break/fix scenarios, engaging broader teams as necessary and partners with/leads engineering, vendors, and regions to achieve continuous improvement.
Serve as highest tier operations support for various field, CARE, vendors, and customer focused organizations. Leads all command and control-related activities focused on restoration of outages, communication across Comcast, and rapid restoration. Works and directly leads external vendors, third parties, and associated agencies, when necessary, to address issues across the PSTN, peering arrangements, inter-operability issues, etc. Works under consultative direction towards predetermined long range objectives. Determines and pursues course of action necessary to achieve results. Frequently serves as operation lead on specific projects, providing broad direction across teams.
- Design, code, test, deploy andevaluate highly reliable programs/scripts in Perl, C, C , etc.
- Administers and deploys configuration changes in a Weblogic, Unix, Linuxenvironments. Develops and implements fail over procedures to mitigateimpacts resulting from failures in the application or infrastructure.
- Load balancer, firewalls, routers, CMTS, associated protocols,advanced troubleshooting, protocols, multi and uni-caste, MPLS, IP management, DNS, traffic management, and sparing. VOICE- PSTN, SIP,routing, Cedar Point, Cisco, IMS, SS7, carrier to carriertroubleshooting, etc.
- Axerra, Ciena, Juniper, Layers 1, 2, 3, ENS, and associated services.
- VIDEO- DSG and 2way conduitapplications, channel migration from the headend to the CRAN, set-tops,IP video deliver-i.e. RPD's, OM-1000's, and NC-1500's, MPEGtroubleshooting, through a variety of highly complex analytical dutiesin the testing and evaluation of Comcast's network,
- Performs a variety of highly complex analytical duties in theplanning, deployment, testing, and evaluation of Comcast's network,products, and services including CRAN, CMTS, and the IP platform, Voice,Data, Commercial, Systems, and Video platform. Works closely withvendors and field to identify and drive improvements across thetopology.
- Directs third party agencies (i.e. AT&T, Verizon,) internal resources,and external resources while troubleshooting and resolving complexpeer-to-peer or vendor/supplier troubles focusing on rapid restoration.
- Devises and implements strategies for solving complex technical issuesdirectly impacting internal and external customers or increasingperformance across broad ecosystems.
- Develops, produces, and reviews documentation, instructional andprocedural manuals for other employees to utilize to resolve complexproblems or make network improvements. Examples include: complexprocesses for acceptance of new products (i.e. cable modems, systems,etc,) testing such as operational readiness, tools focused on automation(i.e. IP scope tool,) etc.
- Supports all the XNOC tools and alarms; analyzes systems needs anddetermines prioritization of break/fix scenarios; implements codechanges and suggests improvements. Ensures the availability ofnetworking services; studies, evaluates, analyzes, and monitors thenetwork and services to determine problem areas and/or areas of concern.
- Monitors, isolates, triages, and resolves outages and impairments.
- Identifies and implements opportunities for improvement across XNOC andXOC.
- Ensures databases, applications, hardware, and other related resourcesare properly maintained and devises strategies to improve performance.
- Provides subject matter expertise for all network equipment and providestechnical training and support to other operational groups. Updatescode and software to ensure proper system performance. Continually looksfor ways to improve services.
- Provides clear, crisp, and concise technical communication andcoordination during large outage scenarios.
- Directly executes changes, in the network and across systems, focusedon deploying new services, implementing changes, and stabilizingproducts following established change management processes. Accountablefor configuration management techniques, ensuring infrastructure iscorrectly aligned and fully compliant with standards.
- Accountable for understanding and managing services across highlycomplex ecosystems cutting across multiple technologies, organizations,people, companies, and solutions. Requires detailed understanding ofcomplex interdependencies/interdependencies. Accountable for providingtechnical assessment of complex changes across ecosystems to ensureresolutions of potential conflicts before impacting intra-/inter-related vertical systems.
- Develops and reports on metrics which showsystem uptime and overall service desk compliance to ITIL standards.
- Possesses advanced depth and breadth of knowledge across two to fivemajor ecosystems/technologies requiring technical competency, advancedtraining, and outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Leverages engineering methodologies across multiple areas of focus.
- Possesses advanced working knowledge and application of process design,client server technology, and internal/external processes. Providestraining and coaching to NSAR, CARE, sub-set of field organizations,peers, vendors, third parties, and more junior engineering operationsstaff.
- Provides insight across complex inter-operability and crossecosystem. Looks to understand and drive efficiencies across other XNOCdesks.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in mattersof significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance.
- Must be able to worknights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent
- Engineering, Computer Science
- Generally requires 5-8 years related experience
- Active CCNP and/or JNCIS
- Scripting Knowledge (Linus, Redhat) a plus
Comcast is anEOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employerand all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex or any other legally protected category.