Comcast Principal Engineer in Denver, Colorado
Comcast's Technology & Product organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
As a Principal Engineer in Architecture, you will be part of an Agile DevOps team whose responsibilities span the entire product life cycle, from gathering requirements to support for development, deployment, and operations. Your responsibilities will include researching, designing, planning, developing, and/or evaluating new, advanced technologies by translating customer requirements or strategic business objectives into final product design. You will help to ensure a balance between tactical and strategic technology solutions and consider business problems end-to-end: including people, process, and technology, both within and outside the enterprise, as part of any design solution.
About Comcast T&P VADER Skywalker and Unified Ingest
The VADER Skywalker and Unified Ingest teams are responsible for Video On Demand content ingest, transcoding, and delivery. Our team is comprised of software developers, QA engineers, operations engineers, architects, audio/video engineers, scrum masters, product owners, and project managers. We are a DevOps and Continuous Delivery organization who develop and operate the systems, software, and services we build. Services include support for Video Ingest, Metadata Transformation, Dynamic Ad Insertion, Monitoring, Video Transcode, and Video Analysis.While our team members are located across the country, this role is located in Downtown Denver.We are a team that thrives on big challenges, results, quality, and agility.
The team values:
- Ability to put one's self in someone else's shoes and understand their perspective
- Actively and humbly seeking and appreciating honest feedback over preserving our egos
- Someone who is self-motivated, while being a team player
- Willingness and enthusiasm to take ownership of problems and see them through to resolution
- Ability and willingness to solve complex problems, including taking a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions and willingness to learn new things
- Adaptability while working in a fast paced agile environment. Requirements and priorities change quickly and our team needs to adapt to moving targets.
- Continuous improvement to DevOps processes for faster cycle times, higher quality, and improved customer experience
- Ensures features are designed, developed, and implemented across the enterprise to meet business needs. Interfaces with the enterprise architecture team and other functional areas to ensure that most efficient solution is designed to meet business needs.
- Creates product and technical requirements, detailed design documents including transaction, capacity and bandwidth models, and systems definitions
- Ensures solutions are well engineered, operable, maintainable, and delivered on schedule.
- Gathers and understands client needs, finding key areas where technology leverage is possible to improve business processes, defines architectural approaches and develops technology proofs. Communicates technology direction.
- Works with other members of cross-functional teams, third party vendors, and company product managers and marketing teams to deliver quality products in a timely fashion that meet defined requirements.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Trains and mentors other engineers.
- Computer Science Degree, Engineering Degree, or equivalent relevant experience
- Generally requires 11 years related experience
- Experience in software development of large-scale distributed systems including proven track record of delivering backend systems that participate in a complex ecosystem.
- Experienceindata related technologies and open source frameworks
- ProficientinUnix/Linux environments
- Comfort with hands-on technology practice (coding, testing, operations)
- Experience with Java, Spring, Maven, DataStax/Cassandra or other NoSQL database
- Virtualization/cloud experience (VMware or OpenStack)Excellentcommunicator, able to analyze and clearly articulate complex issues and technologies understandably and engagingly
- Leadership success in medium-to-large companies and/or complex organizations
- Strong interpersonal skills: emotional intelligence, empathy, and the ability to forge strong relationships
- Familiarity with budgeting and financial concepts
We're interested in attracting a diverse set of candidates for this position. We anticipate that individuals with a wide variety of skills and experiences can be successful in this role. It is not necessary to bring all of these traits; if you can bring several of them, we would encourage you to apply.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer